Sunday, September 11, 2011

Automation in Aviation


I would like to start of by saying this particular topic is one that I share a high interest in exploring. As both a previous flight student, now a management student, I have a shared view of from both angles. However, in this regard, you will find that my comments will be from more a pilot background.
I think that pilots are losing important manual skills, to a CERTAIN extent. Not completely but to a certain extent. I say this by looking back on my own flight experience. When I first started my flight training at in high school, I started in a 1972 Piper Cherokee 140. My instructor was a retired American Airlines line Captain, who emphasized the “old stick & rudder” technique. I would personally have to yank the flaps in place. When I began at Eagle Flight Center, in addition to my aircraft manuals, etc., I was given a tutorial on the Garman G-1000. WOW!  Quite a difference, although Eagle Flight did teach/train flight students in the traditional manner.
Talking with different pilot friends now in Major & Regional carriers, most find it more difficult learning and dealing with the on-board automated computer systems, then the actually physical act of flying.
From a management point of view, I want to point of the ATC systems at DTW. Parallel Runway operations commence daily using all 4 runways, and separation of aircraft is very strict. Pilots & controllers find themselves making almost immediate turns on take-off as to not set of the ATC collision detection equipment.

3 comments:

  1. I am a previous flight student as well and I share most of your concerns. Frankly, training on automated systems is a significant part of successful flight training. Today's pilots ought to master the old flying technique and integrate it with new advancements in technology and automated systems on board of today’s sophisticated aircraft. It is certainly a tough task, but we have to outsmart it in order to make it in this industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - when I ask pilots about automation, the answers vary dependent on age...i.e. older pilots are less enthused about it, younger pilots are use to it. I'm a little confused about your last paragraph and how it ties in to the topic (not that it doesn't, you just don't make it clear how it does). Also, for the future, you may want to include an introduction to your link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning to fly with a Piper Cherokee and then to a G1000 would be a world of change. But maybe it shouldn't be. Maybe students should be taught with all the avionics off until a later lesson in them. That way pilots do not rely on them or expect the avionics to do all the work.

    ReplyDelete